A generous contribution to the Development and Peace – Caritas Canada Solidarity Fund

August 2, 2018

On June 20, 2018, we were greatly touched and honoured to receive a $1.5 million donation to the Development and Peace – Caritas Canada Solidarity Fund. This gift was made by M. Gilles Thifault through his Fondation Solidarité Misère Monde (World Mercy Solidarity Foundation), of which he is the founder and main contributor. The foundation has been a loyal donor to Development and Peace, having contributed more than $400,000 over the last 20 years. This contribution to the solidarity fund, however, will be the final legacy of Mr. Thifault to Development and Peace since the foundation will be dissolved in the coming weeks.

Mr. Thifault confided to us that he was inspired by the great generosity of the Sisters of St. Ann of St. Joseph’s Province, British Columbia, who, in May 2017, made a contribution of $4 million to our Solidarity Fund.

“We are extremely grateful to Mr. Thifault, and the foundation that he created, for this generous gift. The donation is a true gesture of solidarity, generosity, and sharing which will enable Development and Peace to continue, over time, its commitment to the most vulnerable communities in the Global South. It is particularly touching to receive such support when we know to what extent organizations such as ours are continually seeking new funding,” underlined Serge Langlois, Executive Director of Development and Peace – Caritas Canada.

At the request of Mr. Thifault, 75% of the sum will be used to support humanitarian aid and community development programs in various countries of the Global South where Development and Peace is active, with the remaining 25% allocated towards the general operations of the organization.

This donation will increase the balance of our Solidarity Fund to nearly $6.5 million. The fund was created in 2017 as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of the organization. Interest generated by money invested in the fund is used to provide Development and Peace with the means to carry out its mission while remaining financially stable for decades to come.