September 21st is International Peace Day and we want you to show your support for women and peace in the world today.
Did you know that when women are involved in peace negotiations, agreements are 35% more likely to remain in effect for at least 15 years? Yet only 2% of international funding for peace and security is put towards empowering women and ensuring their participation.
Women are our best hope for peace in the world today and International Peace Day is the perfect moment to say that we want the Canadian government to show its commitment towards women and peace by increasing the budget for overseas development aid rather than putting more funds into military solutions.
Help us get the word out in your social media networks! Just follow these simple steps:
- Sign our online petition here (if you haven’t already).
- Print our campaign poster:
Download Poster PDF
- Take a photo of yourself with our poster and making a peace sign ->
- Post the picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and tag 5 friends, challenging them to do the same.
- Invite people to sign our online petition at www.devp.org/act
- Tag Prime Minister Trudeau, (@JustinTrudeau or @CanadianPM), the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, Marie-Claude Bibeau (@mclaudebibeau or @CanadaDev), or your MP.
Sample Facebook message:
On #peaceday, I’m supporting women and peace in the world, and I want my gvnt to do the same. Don’t you want to do the same (5 friends) and (@JustinTrudeau or @CanadianPM or mclaudebibeau or @CanadaDev). Sign the petition www.devp.org/act and post your own photo! #womenbuildingpeace @devpeace
Sample Twitter message:
I support women and peace! Show your support with a photo and signing this petition (5 friends) and (@JustinTrudeau or @CanadianPM or mclaudebibeau or @CanadaDev) #womenbuildingpeace #peaceday @devpeace
Join our Thunderclap
To show your commitment, join our Thunderclap and spread the message amongst your friends and family!
Consult our Social Media Toolkit for other ways to support our campaign on social media!