Ready to take action?
Sign the petition online
- companies based in Canada are contributing to human rights abuse and environmental damage around the world;
- people who protest these abuses and defend their rights are often harassed, attacked, or killed. Indigenous peoples, women, and marginalized groups are especially under threat; and
- Canada encourages but does not require companies to prevent such harms in their global operations and supply chains.
We, the undersigned citizens and residents of Canada call upon the House of Commons to adopt human rights and environmental due diligence legislation that would:
- require companies to prevent adverse human rights impacts and environmental damage throughout their global operations and supply chains;
- require companies do their due diligence, including by carefully assessing how they may be contributing to human rights abuse or environmental damage abroad and by providing access to remedy when harms occur;
- result in meaningful consequences for companies that fail to carry out and report on adequate due diligence; and
- establish a legal right for people who have been harmed to seek justice in Canadian courts.
Gather signatures in your community
If you prefer talking about the issue in person, you can print the petition, collect as many signatures as you can, and educate your Member of Parliament about this issue. For extra help, check out this activist toolkit produced by the Canadian Network on Corporate Accountability (CNCA).
Don’t forget to report back once you have taken all the necessary steps mentioned in the instructions, by clicking on the button below!
Spread the word
We highly encourage you to spread the word about Human Rights and Due Diligence Legislation (HREDD)! A great way to do this is through social media or e-mail. Here are some tips to help you do this:
- Follow Development and Peace on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and repost our content on HREDD on your own pages!
- Use our social media banners to showcase your willingness to put People and Planet First!
- Do not forget to use the following hashtags: #PeoplePlanetFirst #Spreadingsolidarity
- Share our videos on HREDD on your page. Visual content often is more attractive than plain text!