Project funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) in the Sahel Region
Permanent Full-time position (35 hours/week)
Place of work
As soon as possible
June 7, 2023
Send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage members of employment equity groups to apply
Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered for this position
DEVELOPMENT AND PEACE- CARITAS CANADA is one of the leading Canadian international development NGOs and the official international solidarity organization of the Canadian Catholic Church. The organization supports local partners located in several countries of the Global South. With a network of members across Canada, EVELOPMENT AND PEACE- CARITAS CANADA raises the awareness of Canadians about the causes of worldwide poverty and injustice and mobilizes Canadians around actions for change.
Under the responsibility of the Director of the Department and under the coordination of the Administrative and Budgetary Oversight Officer, the Administrative and Financial Monitoring Officer is responsible for ensuring the administrative and financial follow-up of the International Program Services’ projects and for providing the necessary support for the proper implementation of the Department’s activities.
He/she ensures the administrative and financial management of projects according to established procedures and specific donor requirements, in collaboration with program officers, the International Program Services Support Unit, and local partner organizations.
In addition to budget monitoring of projects, which may include consolidation and submission of budget estimates and financial reports to donors, the person plays an important role in building local partners’ financial management capacity and compliance. He/she also acts as a bridge with Development and Peace’s administrative and financial services team, as needed.
Ensure the administrative follow-up of the programming files
- Manages the files according to the life cycle of a project, from opening to archiving, and ensures that everything meets our administrative requirements.
Ensure the administrative and financial follow-up of projects
- Ensures the coordination and preparation of project documents under his/her responsibility (budget estimates, funding requests and financial reports) in coordination with the Administrative and Budgetary Oversight Officer and the Program Officer.
- Monitors and analyzes budgets, expenditures, financial reports and supporting documents, ensuring that expenditures are eligible and appropriately coded.
- Ensures control of funds (inflows and outflows) in the partner’s local currency as well as in Canadian dollars to maintain control of balances and exchange rates as required by the donor.
- Quickly learns the program and the procures of the organization, the donor and local partners.
- Ensures receipt of information from the accounting software used by the local partner (e.g. general ledger, balance sheet, Excel file, etc.).
- Prepares and consolidates partner financial reports and local DPCC expenditures into a single Excel document that supports the completion of donor financial reporting templates.
- Coordinates the centralization of accounting documents and the recording of supporting documents via a simple filing system.
- Ensures that accounting procedures for effective management are accessible and understood by putting in place at the beginning of the project budgetary procedures, management tools and financial controls in accordance with the Contribution Agreement with the donor, and the terms of Agreement signed between the Organization and the local partner.
- Reviews the local partner’s management manual and, if necessary, adapts it to take into account the specificities of the donor and the project, in close collaboration with the local partner.
- Ensures the preparation of payments and payment advices to the local partner and follows up on the acknowledgement of receipt of funds forms.
- Ensures compliance of major bidding and procurement processes with outlined procedures and policies.
- Verifies compliance of local subcontracts and coordinates the administrative aspects of mobilizing ad hoc human resources in Canada.
- Ensures, as needed, the communication with the donor regarding the financial aspects of the project.
- Supports the Organization and the local partner in case of financial audit during the project and for the external audit at the end of the project.
Local Financial Capacity Building
- Provides ongoing coaching and advisory support to the local partner, including financial management capacity building and compliance workshops.
- Organizes training for the local partner on eligible project costs, classification of expenditures, budget tracking, financial reporting, proper use of templates, and internal control procedures by familiarizing the local team with the management manual.
- Ensures that the local partner’s management manual is synthesized into a practical guide to ensure compliance, control and consistency.
Provide administrative support to the department
- Ensures the proper functioning of the equipment, facilitates the work of all members of the department (logistics of meetings, missions-delegations, etc.) and assumes any other related responsibilities;
Provide support to management and the Administrative and Financial Monitoring Officer
- Provides the necessary assistance in the preparation of various documents, analyses and reports
- Contributes to the development of the department’s management tools and participates in the development and updating of administrative procedures;
- Participates in the archiving of departmental documents.
- College diploma (DEC) in accounting, finance, administration or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or business administration (an asset)
- Fluency in spoken and written French and English
- Good knowledge of written Spanish
- Functional Portuguese (an asset)
- Mastery of Microsoft Office 365, in particular Excel (intermediate-advanced level, e.g.: Cross tabs, conditional sum, Vlookup)
- Knowledge of database software – Project management system
- Three years of relevant experience in administrative and financial follow-up
- Experience in administrative and financial monitoring and reporting in international cooperation with government donors (an asset)
- Sensitivity to political and socio-economic realities and international development issues
- Good knowledge of the financial and compliance procedures and requirements of major donors (an asset)
- Mastery of budget management and administrative and financial monitoring
- Knowledge of accounting
- Good understanding of the project management cycle
- Ability to create work tools, including templates, and facilitate their appropriation by local teams
- Knowledge of the Church and its commitment to social justice
- Good facilitator and extension worker in terms of training and local capacity building
- Excellent organizational, planning and accountability skills
- Methodical, systematic, autonomous and able to take initiative
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent priority management and ability to work under pressure
- Availability and flexibility
- Thoroughness and concern for the quality of work within prescribed deadlines
Availability to travel abroad occasionally
- Competitive salary and benefits as per the collective agreement.
- Group insurance and pension plan.
- 8% vacation accrual after one year of service.
- Possibility of a hybrid work mode (telecommuting and office presence).