You might have read lately about the destruction of 7 of the 16 sacred mausoleums in Timbuktu in Mali by the islamist group Ansar Dine who is controlling the city since April 1st, 2012.
We received last week an analysis from Théodore Togo, General Secretary of Caritas Mali (which we support in the actual food crisis), who presents 2012 as the year of all dangers in Mali.
The country presents a very saddening portrait today, characterized by:
- the occupation of two thirds of its territory;
- an institutional crisis and a difficult transition;
- the food and nutritional insecurity in Sahel;
- the threat of a plague of locusts;
- the economic crisis;
- and the effects of the war to conquer again the North of Mali.
The full analysis on Caritas Mali’s website is only available in French.