Rooted in Justice will connect and strengthen the network of like-minded youth across Canada, while providing the capacity to be leaders and igniting the passion for social justice actions. All youth who would like to get more involved with advocacy and social justice issues are invited, whether you are already a member of the organization or new to Development and Peace.
In celebration of our 50th anniversary, Development and Peace – Caritas Canada is excited to announce Rooted in Justice. This youth forum on food sovereignty will gather youth from across Canada to connect on social justice issues that are important to them. Local guest speakers, experts, activists and youth from Development and Peace international partner organizations will be presenting on a variety of topics related to food sovereignty in a North-South perspective. Interactive workshops and open creative spaces will follow presentations to promote participation, dialogue, and action.
On the menu at the forum*:
- Plenary sessions (demystifying agroecology, food system transition, advocacy and mobilization, etc.)
- Participatory and dynamic workshops in small groups (access to land, Community Supported Agriculture, food sovereignty, fair trade, support to cooperatives, etc.)
- Awareness activities
- Creative spaces
- 50th anniversary evening social
- Planning for follow-up actions
*This represents a preliminary overview of the forum's content, a more detailed and final agenda will be shared with registrants at the appropriate moment.
Participating Development and Peace partners:
- William Salazar - Latin American Association of Radiotelephone Education (ALER), Ecuador
- Sandra Lorena Rojas Villamuez - ALER, Ecuador
- Laura Tatiana Rivera Peca - Center for Promotion and Integral Health (CEPROSI), Bolivia
- Margarita Cusi Churata - CEPROSI, Bolivia
- Hormisdas Hariyongabo - Support to the Integral Development and Solidarity on the Hills (ADISCO), Burundi
- Karno Batiran - PAYO PAYO, Indonesia
Registrants must be aged 18-35 years old and be interested in social justice issues with a desire and willingness to learn with others.
- The registration fee is $90.00 and includes participation in Rooted in Justice, accommodations and meals for the duration of the forum. Registrants are required to cover the cost of their own travel.
- Local/commuter registrants who do not need accommodations can participate for $15.00. This cost includes meals for the duration of the forum.
Please fill out the online registration form until June 1st, 2017. The registration fee with accommodation is $90.00.
The payment instruction will be forwarded to you after the submission of the registration form. Individuals who do not require a hotel room may register for the Forum until June 4, 2017 (until midnight Eastern time). Please note le Forum is only open to Canadian residents.